Frequently Asked Questions

Boat Identification

  • How do I tell what kind of boat I have?

    Since 1972 all boats manufactured or imported have been required to have a Hull Identification Number (HIN). This is often referred to as the “boat serial number”. The following link gives an excellent explanation of what those letters and numbers mean.

    Note: two different systems have been used, one prior to August I, 1984 and one after that date.

    The first three letters of the HIN are the Manufacturer’s Identification Code (MIC). The following link is to a U.S. Coast Guard database, where entering that three letter MIC will get you the manufacturer of the boat.

    When you have identified the manufacturer of your boat, look in the Inflatable Boat Reference Chart on our website for the boat’s material, adhesive needed for repairs and type of valves.

If you have questions to add to our FAQ page or any questions regarding NRS please contact us at

Back to FAQs